Mikva Summer Fellows Program
Mikva Summer Fellows are truly inspiring. They have a passion for learning and a desire to succeed. This experience has made us all better people.
– Supervisor, aldermanic host office
The Mikva Summer Fellows program provides the opportunity for students to participate in paid internships in the offices of local, state, and federal elected officials. Participating students also attend a weekly workshop with Mikva Challenge staff and other interns to debrief their internship experiences, develop leadership skills, and learn about how government works.
Youth in this program:
- INTERACT with constituents
- LEARN what elected officials can do for communities and how to do it
- COMMUNICATE with constituents and co-workers in a variety of settings
- DEVELOP professional and 21st century skills
- 95% of student participants report increased confidence in working and communicating with others in a professional setting.
- 100% of host offices have committed to hosting and mentoring Mikva interns in the future.
- 10 elected officials participated in round table discussions with Mikva interns to discuss how to improve communication between Chicago youth and elected officials.
This experience has taught me so much more about networking, politics, and being a youth activist. I’ve been responsible and I’m more committed to my neighborhood. We’re ALL leaders in our own way and this is OUR world.
– Mikva Intern, Summer 2014