How to Play
Get Started in 5 Easy Steps
Step 1: Create a Team Teams can be made up of 3-5 students. All team members must be in grades 6-12. (Mikva ProTip: Teams interested in collaborating with each other to divide and conquer more Challenges can also form Coalitions – click here to learn more.)
Step 2: Read the Challenges This race includes 51 Challenges — one named after each US state + DC. Each Challenge is worth as many points as that state has votes in the Electoral College. Your team can complete as few or as many Challenges as you like, but you can only receive points for each Challenge once. (Mikva ProTip: Challenges for states with fewer people (like MT) are easier and worth fewer points; Challenges for states with more people (like TX) are harder but worth more points!)
Step 3: Begin Earning Points The competition begins on Labor Day (Mon. 9/5) and ends the day after Election Day (Wed. 11/9) at 11:59PM CST. In order to earn points for a Challenge, you must both finish the assigned tasks AND share the evidence required on Twitter and/or Instagram. (Mikva ProTip: Make sure your accounts are open to the public so everyone can see your posts!)
IMPORTANT: IN ORDER TO RECEIVE POINTS, EACH TWEET/POST MUST INCLUDE:
* your team hashtag (chosen when you create your team)
* the hashtag for that particular Challenge (i.e. #AK, #ID, etc.)
Step 4: Enter to Win Prizes Prize drawings will take place three times throughout the Race: 9/26, 10/17 & 11/9.
- In order to be eligible for each drawing, Teams must complete an official Tracking Form by midnight (CST) the night before to self-report how many challenges they have completed.
- Your team will be entered into each drawing as many times as you have points at that time. (i.e. If you have earned 84 points by that date, your team name goes into the drawing 84 times. If you have earned 4, your team name goes in 4 times.)
- Once a winner is drawn, Mikva staff will verify that team’s points by searching for their hashtag on Twitter/ Instagram to confirm they have completed the tasks they claim.
IMPORTANT! Remember: Your posts and comments represent you, your school, and your community. Points will be detracted for tweets/posts that are disrespectful and/or uncivil. This race aims to bring together young people from across the country in order to unite a wide range of experiences, backgrounds, and points of view to discuss pressing issues in our communities. We welcome (and encourage!) debate, discussion, and disagreement about issues, candidates, and ideas, but insults and bullying are not acceptable. The Mikva social media team has full discretion to subtract points or withhold prizes from teams not following the rules.
Step 5: Follow @MikvaChallenge Besides giving shoutouts to teams throughout the hunt, Mikva will tweet out additional pop-up Bonus Challenges each Friday throughout the contest. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram to make sure you don’t miss these extra opportunities to earn additional points for your team!
Those are the basics. Got questions?
Click the STUDENT HOME or TEACHER HOME buttons below for more answers and resources.