Position: Mikva Challenge Southern California Site Director
Mikva Challenge is a Chicago-based nonpartisan, nonprofit organization whose mission is to develop youth to be informed, empowered, and active citizens and community leaders. We do this by engaging youth in action civics, an authentic and transformative learning process built on youth voice and youth expertise. We are a dynamic youth empowerment agency that provides high school students with unique civic learning opportunities and “hands-on” experiences in political campaigns, public policy advocacy, government internships, and youth activism programs.
Mikva Challenge is looking for a seasoned educator with entrepreneurial energy to lead our Action Civics program replication efforts in Southern California. This position will be based in Los Angeles and will be managed directly by the Mikva Challenge Executive Director. This is a leadership level position that will require a multitude of educational, management, and fundraising skills and a high degree of personal initiative. Candidates should have a strong commitment to the Mikva mission and a zeal for spreading Action Civics curricula and programs to new schools across California.
The Southern California Director will train and support a minimum of 35 teachers at 10-20 high schools in the LA area and support via phone and digital communications an additional 10-15 teachers in areas outside of LA. The primary curricula and program for replication is Mikva’s Issues to Action (ITA) and Project Soapbox curriculum and toolkit. These curricula are the foundation of Mikva Challenge’s Democracy in Action program and all of our teacher-based programming. Mikva’s programs support students as they identify, research, and propose solutions to critical issues facing their schools or communities using a 6-step “organizing 101” process. Project Soapbox is a one-week curriculum during which students write and present a short speech on a critical issue that affects their community. In Year Two of the replication, we will look to add our Elections in Action curriculum and program to our California initiative.
Specific responsibilities may include:
- Recruiting teachers to participate in our Action Civics programs
- Facilitating and supporting professional development of teachers throughout year
- Visiting schools throughout year to facilitate lessons or activities that will help students and teachers on their projects
- Assist teachers in bringing speakers and additional resources to the classroom related to their work
- Plan and lead a major youth event, such as the citywide Project Soapbox competition
- Communicate successes of program to internal communications team and development team and externally to media or decision makers as needed
- Evaluate program and write reports for internal and external audiences
- Support development team as needed on grants, contracts, and other initiatives to fund the program
- Manage expenses for the program and coordinate with Mikva Operations Director on operational needs
- Work with a Mikva Challenge Advisory Committee to support and build the program in California
- Represent Mikva Challenge with a variety of stakeholders and community leaders
- Assist in building and implementing a long term strategy for Mikva Challenge in California that increases local control for the project over time
- Spotlight the program with local media and public officials
- Hire and manage any support staff for the project
- Support Mikva staff and Executive Director in communicating with the Mikva governing board the successes and challenges involved in replication
- Other tasks as deemed necessary for the successful launch and growth of the California initiative
We are looking for a Southern California Site Director with experience and/or an interest in youth development, youth civic engagement, and the field of politics. A successful candidate should have at least 7 years of experience in education or youth programming. Candidate must have a bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience. He/she should be highly organized and motivated to empower young adults. Fundraising, management, and communications experience a strong positive for this position. Experience working with urban youth a major asset. Excellent oral and written communication skills are required along with high energy and a willingness to be flexible and creative.
Mikva Challenge is an equal opportunity employer and we highly value diversity in our workplace. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience. Candidates chosen to be interviewed should be prepared to offer three professional references. This is a full-time position and it includes a competitive salary and generous benefits package. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Please send a resume and cover letter to Brian Brady at email@example.com. Please, no phone calls.